Ingredients for main dish
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic, (about 2 cloves)
- 1/4 head green cabbage, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 24 oz. tomato juice
- 8 oz. apricot or apple juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 small chunk fresh ginger, peeled and grated (use 1 tsp. grated ginger) or 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 14 1/2 oz. diced tomatoes, drained (you can use the sauce from the canned tomatoes in place of some of the tomato juice above)
- 1/2 cup smooth natural peanut butter
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté them until they are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cabbage and sweet potatoes and sauté the mixture, covered, for 5 minutes.
Add the juices, salt, ginger and tomatoes. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer it for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender. (Meanwhile, warm the pita bread, if you are serving it.)
Add the peanut butter to the stew, stirring thoroughly so it doesn’t clump. Simmer the stew gently until you are ready to serve it.
Source: Six O’Clock Scramble